Federal & State Resources

Federal Resources

There are several federal and state requirements to meet if you plan to hire employees. You file a form SS-04 with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The IRS will assign an employer identification number to your business. You will then be liable for federal withholding taxes and FICA. The toll-free number to order the SS-04 is 800-829-FORM(3676).

Federal Service Phone Numbers

Organization Phone Number
Internal Revenue Service
Internal Revenue Service Toll-Free Forms
800-829-FORM (3676)
Social Security Administration

State Regulations & Resources

Retail licenses are required by some businesses and are issued by the South Carolina Department of Revenue. There is a branch office in Greenville and they may be contacted at 864-241-1200 for information on these and other State required licenses and permits.

Restaurant, grocery stores, or other businesses that handle food must obtain the approval health department prior to operation. If any alcohol is served, an Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) Permit is required by law. Many professions and contractors must also be licensed by the State of South Carolina.

To work in the City of Greenville, contractors must obtain a State Contractor's or Home Builder's license prior to approval for a City business license.

You may contact the State Contractors board at 803-896-4834 for residential contractors or 803-896-4686 for commercial contractors for more information.

State Service Phone Numbers

State or County Department
Phone Number
Department of Revenue - Greenville Office
Department of Revenue - Columbia Office
Department of Revenue - ABC Permit
Greenville County Health Department - Food Service Permit
South Carolina Contractor Licensing Board - Commercial
South Carolina Contractor Licensing Board - Residential