The City of Greenville is a welcoming community. We believe in respecting one another’s dignity and differences. The City is strengthened by the diversity of its residents, employees, and visitors. We aim to foster an inclusive environment where people of all backgrounds, orientations, and identities feel safe, respected, and represented.
The City of Greenville has implemented several initiatives to support our LGBTQ+ residents, employees, and visitors. A few to note:
- Mayor Knox White signed a proclamation on June 3, 2022, designating the month of June as LGBTQ+ Pride Month and encouraging all citizens to participate in the celebration.
- The City’s Code of Ordinances creates a separate offense for bias-related intimidation based on sexual orientation, gender or gender identity.
- The City reports hate crime statistics to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
- The City's recruitment efforts include job postings with the Professional Diversity Network, an organization that conducts outreach to the LGBTQ+ community.
- New hires complete diversity training, including training on LGBTQ+ diversity awareness.
- The City participates annually in the Human Rights Campaign Municipal Equality Index, which "examines how inclusive municipal laws, policies and services are of LGBTQ+ people who live and work there."
- The City's Youth Bullying Prevention Policy prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity for youth participating in City-managed programs.
The City LGBTQ+ Liaison serves as a key connector and point of contact in City Hall for the LGBTQ+ community.
The Greenville Police LGBTQ+ Liaison serves as a connection for the LGBTQ+ community as a part of the City’s continued commitment to serve the diverse needs of all residents and visitors.
Individuals who believe they have observed or experienced harassment or discrimination based on gender identity or sexual orientation are asked to contact City of Greenville liaison Megan Young or Greenville Police liaison Johnathan Bragg.
The resources listed here are not direct City of Greenville resources, but are organizations local to the Upstate. If you are seeking support, please feel free to review the list below. Many of the organizations listed below may offer services that address your particular needs.